James L. Woodville obituary
Cary Woodville obituary
Bessie Woodville obituary
Margaret W. Cannon and Frances Furguson obituaries
The Woodville Family
Littlepage Woodville (James L. 1791-1848) was the grandson, son, and
brother of consecutive rectors of St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in
Woodville read law with Andrew Stevenson in
In 1824, by virtue of his “intermarriage” with Mary Sophia Lewis, James L. Woodville was listed as one of the heirs of John Lewis, owner of the “Old Sweet.” His share of the Lewis land was 722 acres lying along the Union Turnpike (apparently beginning at the site of “Little Lynnside,” (Lynn Spellman’s house). In 1851 his son, Dr. James Lewis Woodville (J. Lewis, 1820-1904), purchased the adjoining “lot” which had been the share of John Peyton, who “intermarried” with Ann Montgomery Lewis.
About the time of Mary Sophia’s death in 1836, James L. Woodville’s widowed mother came to Fincastle to make her home with him. From at least 1838 until her mother’s death, Sarah Ann Woodville, James L.’s unmarried sister, was also a member of the household. During this period J. Lewis Woodville was a student at Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio (1836-1837), the University of Virginia (taking a degree in chemistry in 1840), and the medical school of the University of Pennsylvania (taking a medical degree in 1843).
James L. Woodville and his mother and sister moved to Buchanan in
1844 and 1850 J. Lewis Woodville intermittently practiced medicine in
Fincastle and engaged in further study in
Breckinridge’s daughter, Mary Ann and Dr. J. Lewis Woodville were married
in 1852 and moved immediately to Sweet Springs; his ledger for 1853 shows
an extensive practice in
Woodville was appointed surgeon in the Provisional Army of Virginia in
May, 1861, and served with the 7th Virginia Regiment at
Manassas Station and Fairfax C.H. until November, 1861, when his request
for transfer to the Army hospital at Montgomery White Sulphur Springs
“Catholic conversion” at Sweet springs began in 1837 when William Lynn
Lewis married his first cousin, Letitia Preston Floyd. She and two of her sisters had
become Catholics in
Woodville was received into the Catholic faith in 1867, and the six
children who had been baptized in the Episcopal Church were soon given
instruction and received into their mother’s Church. Dr. J. Lewis Woodville was
baptized in the Catholic Church in 1894, at age 77. Family tradition has it that the
Woodville conversion began near
The present generations of Breckinridge, Woodville, and Lewis family cousins have two or more lines of descent from these closely related couples:
Jane Preston and Alexander Breckinridge
Elizabeth Patton and John Preston (Jane Preston Breckenridge’s brother)
Mary Osborne and James Patton (Elizabeth Patton Preston’s brother)
Margaret Lynn (first cousin of Elizabeth and James Patton) and John Lewis
The Breckinridges descend from the first two through the marriage of Letitia Preston (daughter of Elizabeth and John) to Robert Breckenridge (son of Jane and Alexander).*
The Woodvilles share this Preston-Breckenridge ancestry and additionally area descended from Colonel William Preston (son of Elizabeth and john( through his daughter Mary and From Margaret Lynn and John Lewis.
Madeleine Keiley’s children are descended from two daughters of Colonel William Preston (Mary and Letitia); from a granddaughter of Mary Osborne and James Pattton; and from Margaret Lynn and John Lewis.
Preston Woodville and his sisters were descended from all four of the couples through all the lines listed above. His mother, Bessie Frederick, was a granddaughter of Letitia Preston Floyd and William Lynn Lewis.
Sarah (Sadie) Lewis, wife of Cary B. Woodville, was also a granddaughter of Letitia Preston Floyd and William Lynn Lewis. She and her first cousin, Bessie Frederick, were both born at “Lynnside,” their grandparents’ home.
* The descendants of this marriage use in in Breckinridge; descendants of Robert Breckenridge’s first marriage (to Mary Poage)